These Are My Friends, My Pals, My Blogging Buddies!!

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Make Your Own Stove Top Stuffing

With the holidays upon us in full force now ... I do mean FULL FORCE, as I tried shopping for last minute Thanksgiving items, I was shoved, pushed, almost trampled and swore never to get out of the house again till after New Year's Day!  Ha!  I expect that to last maybe through the day, possibly into tomorrow.  I forgot to get sage!!  I blame all the confusion at the grocery store on my sudden loss of memory.
In fact, I am sure that was it.  I always have sage in my pantry, but now that it is time to begin preparation for what I hope will be a feast for my family to remember forever, there is no sage in the house!
I lay awake for quite some time last night trying to imagine how a stuffing would taste with no sage.  I simply could not come up with anything good, so I suppose I will brave those pushing, shoving crowds again to make yet another trip to the grocery store for a single bottle of sage!
I am hoping as I stand in line without a shopping cart, holding my lone bottle of sage, someone will be gracious enough to let me go first!
You would not believe how big burly husbands with overflowing grocery carts stand their ground, turning around to stare at you with a single item and not feel an ounce of remorse that they do not offer to let you go ahead of them!
I can only think they possibly are getting even with their wives for sending them out for chocolate chips and a hundred other things the lady of the house had realized she did not have!
I have a great recipe for make ahead stuffing that so resembles Stove Top, it can be used in the same way and also substituted in any recipe calling for Stove Top Stuffing.  It is really good.
 As soon as I get enough nerve to go to the grocery store again, I plan to make it.

Stove Top Stuffing Clone

30 slices firm bread (I use a loaf of sandwich bread)
3 Tblsp. minced onion or onion flakes
2 tsp. garlic salt  (or powder)
1/2 tsp. seasoned pepper
3 Tblsp. dried parsley flakes
3/4 tsp. ground sage
1/3 cup cooking oil (or olive oil)
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  Cut bread slices in 1/2" cubes and place
in two 9"x13" baking pans.  Toast bread cubes for about 45 minutes. (Mine doesn't take this long, so be
sure to check them often).  Stir once in a while.  Remove from oven when toasted and cool slightly.  Mix remaining ingredients together in a large bowl.
Lightly toss bread cubes with seasonings to coat. (I found I had to add more oil for the seasonings to stick well.  You can play around with it and find what works best for you.)
Place in a large airtight container and store in refrigerator for up to two months or you can freeze it for up to six months.
This recipe makes about twelve cups.

It is great to have on hand during the holidays.  I make cornbread dressing and adding a couple of cups
of this along with the cornbread makes for a yummy dressing!!
Be sweet and may you always walk with angels.

2 comments:

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

That is funny, I agree with you. Stay home til New Years! Good luck with your sage.

Aries said...

This must be the most busy month for all, preparing for Thanks Giving and Christmas. Happy preparing and hope you manage to get all your ingredients in time.