These Are My Friends, My Pals, My Blogging Buddies!!

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

From the Olden Days to 2009

Everyone knows I am not a "bah! humbug!" sort of person, but I am so glad the holidays are over and life settles into normal again. I admit, when November rolls around, I will be the first to start searching through storage tubs and boxes in the garage for lights and ornaments. They have to be ready to go at a moment's notice! I will want the Santa my daughter painted to be in a prominent place as it always is. I absolutely do love the season, all the hub-bub and the rushing here and there. I am just so worn out by the time New Year's Day rolls around that I am ready to relax and do my part to make it the best year yet. I make no resolutions, because I know I won't keep them. I once thought resolutions on New Year's Day was a must and always felt bad when I failed to keep them. I am a lot older and a little wiser now, so I am thankful just to see another year begin! How lucky we are---- 2009, can you imagine?!
When my children were little, they thought I lived "back in the olden" days. Mitch asked me once, "Mom, how did people wash their clothes in the olden days? Did you have to take them to a stream and beat them on a rock?" He was so serious. I let that little man know right quick that by the time I was a teenager we had electricity and a wringer washing machine, with two galvanized wash tubs for rinsing sitting on the back porch!!

3 comments:

OPechanga said...

I'm old enough to remember we had a wringer washing machine (had to be from Sears).

I bought my older brother a rubber band gun as one of his presents. It was the hit of the party. Our generation had swordfights with the tubing that wrapping paper comes in, sledded with cardboard boxes and just had fun playing in the dirt.... ah, the olden days...

Glynis Peters said...

I loved my baths in a tub by the fire! gosh the olden days and I am only 51 ! Loved your story

Anonymous said...

My 21 yeae old daughter says I am awful young to have grown up with no indoor plumbling, wriger washer, out-houses. The applachian Mountains. It was a Great Life. I am 48.