These Are My Friends, My Pals, My Blogging Buddies!!

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Christmas Nostalgia


The best Christmas I ever had was long ago, but whenever I go there in my thoughts and dreams it becomes as real as what is happening in the in the here and now. As the days become colder with the threat of snow I become again the excited little girl gazing through the window watching the snowflakes fall and never letting on that I knew it was Dad trudging up the walk, dressed as Santa. This year I was compelled to write this Christmas poem, so my children, grandchildren, greats and so on would have those memories to keep with them and hold in their hearts forever. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Christmas Dream

I travel often in my dreams
to that Christmas so long ago
when my gaze swept through the morning light
and saw the first flakes of snow.

When garlands of cranberries and popcorn
graced the branches of our tree
highlighted by sequined ornaments
that were made by Mom and me.

Almost covering the red felt skirt
and adorned with homemade tags
bright red ribbon tied each present
wrapped neatly in paper bags.

The magical aroma of Christmas
gave our house a special glow
as, clad in a Santa suit,
Dad emerged out in the snow.

Every holiday has its memories
but when cold winds begin to blow
my travels take me in my dreams
to that Christmas so long ago.

copyright Polly Little 2008

No comments: