These Are My Friends, My Pals, My Blogging Buddies!!

Monday, November 24, 2008

Great Grandmother

This is a picture of my great grandmother. She was my maternal grandfather's mother and a full blooded Indian from Oklahoma. She delivered my mom when she was born. Of course in those days, when there was a lot of undeveloped land, everything was spread out and you either walked or rode a horse. When Grandma's labor pains started, my grandpa immediately saddled his horse and set off to bring the doctor! Darkness had fallen on the little log home before he managed to fetch the doctor and all they saw as they galloped up was the soft glow of a kerosene lamp through the half open door. Imagine his surprise when he entered, with the doctor close behind, to hear my grandma crooning a lullaby to a tiny newborn, already wrapped warmly in soft flannel, with a fluff of black hair sticking out at the top! My grandma loved to tell this story, only with much more detail, and I loved listening to it.
This picture was made from an old tintype. A tintype is actually metal and I wager a lot of folks have never had the pleasure of seeing one. It is the only one that exists in our family. I hope you enjoyed the post today. Be sweet and be good.

No comments: